Friday, May 3, 2013

A Moment by Marie Hall





I read this book a few weeks ago and just wasn't sure at all how to go about writing a review for it. I was engrossed in the story which is always a good thing in my opinion! However...there was something about it...something that made me really really uncomfortable and made me cringe.


Here is the synopsis because it is written better than anything I could:


Ryan Cosgrove and Liliana Delgado are on a collision course with destiny. They don’t know it yet, but before the night is over their lives will be forever changed.

Spending Valentine’s Day at a burlesque bar, hadn’t been Liliana’s ideal way of spending a Friday night. She’d much rather be back on campus doing homework… until she meets Ryan. Tall, athletic, and gorgeous, Lili can’t keep her eyes off him, and despite his gruff manners and drunken disposition she’s intrigued.

Ryan’s got demons, and they’re deep, dark, and eating him alive. Regardless of his attraction to the petite brunette he’s tired of fighting, of pretending the last fifteen years haven’t been a daily struggle just to get out of bed every morning. That night he decides to end his pain, to leave it all behind and float away into the blessed darkness of oblivion. But fate has other plans for him, Lily finds and rescues Ryan, determined she’ll not only save his body, but his soul too.

This is their moment…

I know bad things happen to people every day. I just didn't need the details, especially when I could figure it out already based on little clues we were given throughout the story. I honestly had to skip over the part where we were actually given details. He was a child. I don't want detailed info about things happening to children. Maybe I am naive and unrealistic. IDK. It just was not necessary for me to understand the story and for me to understand what Ryan was going through.

I did really like the connection between Lily and Ryan. I thought they had some really sweet moments and I was rooting for them the whole time...hoping and praying that they could get over their past issues and Lily's current dilemma to make it work with each other. It was important for me to finish because I desperately wanted peace and new beginnings for these two.

There were some really good moments in this book, but it was definitely a book that is hard to read. Also, I felt like there were lots of different things going on and throughout the book it just skips time..like a lot of time. It will be like 6 months later. Next chapter 4 months later..etc. Parts of it were really rushed through and it felt odd based on the heavy subject matter to me.

I agree with another review who made the comment that some stories are just meant to be told..but not enjoyed. This was one of those. It was dark and intense, but there was hope. People can survive through awful circumstances. The next book is supposed to be about the cousin, Alex, I do believe and I do think that that would be a story I would want to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment