Monday, April 15, 2013

Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker




 " 'Just Breathe,' my mom would say. 'Ten tiny breaths...Seize them. Feel them. Love them.'..... I didn't understand it then. I do now."
Kacey Cleary

From the moment I started this book I was hooked. The prologue sucks you right in and you need to find out what is going to happen to Kacey. How is she going to survive this? 

The book is written in sections, going through stages of Kacey's healing...or sometimes lack of healing. I like this, in the sense that it sets you up for what to expect...grief, anger, dependence...etc. However, it doesn't spoil anything or give anything away in the big picture. The writing of this book is done in such a way that you feel everything and picture everything and I LOVE that. I love having such a clear picture in my head of what is going on. It just was really well done.

"I want to make you smile. For real. Always. We're going to go for dinners, and see movies, and walk on the beach. We'll go hang-gliding, or bungee jumping, or whatever you want to do. Whatever makes you smile and laugh more." His fingers toy with my bottom lip. "Let me make you smile."
Trent Emerson

*sigh* I love Trent. He's so passionate and swoon worthy. You can tell he wants nothing more than to see Kacey happy...and she is rarely happy anymore. She pushes people away always, but Trent is determined to get through. You know he has secrets, but so does Kacey and they just feel right for each other. It's an instant connection, but it's not cheesy or over done like so many other books. I figured out his secret really early in the story, but it didn't ruin it for me. I needed to see how it would play out and I was holding my breath the whole time. The anticipation was excruciating at times, but so worth it!

"You hate me, don't you? You must hate me. I can't help it. I'm broken." Trent squeezes me close to him. "I don't hate you. I could never hate you. Give me your heart, Kacey. I'll take everything that comes with it."

Kacey was such a damaged person. Who wouldn't be after what she went through??? I loved her though. I loved seeing little bits of the "real kacey", as her sister Livie would say, slip through. Little by little we were getting to know who she really was before she put up all her walls. It was really endearing and I was rooting for her the whole time. Rooting for her to find peace and love and healing.

All in all I loved this book. It was a really good, hopeful, romantic read. Full of emotions. My only complaint is that the major plot twist was obvious to me. Maybe it won't be to you though? Like I said though, it didn't ruin the story for me though. I thoroughly enjoyed it still. 
 
"Our past isn't who we are. I'm me and you're you and that's who we need to be."

Book two is going to going center around her sister Livie and I am so super excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment